Thursday, July 25, 2019
Author : Bishop Julius Okarike
Verse Of The Day : “I repeat, be strong and brave! Don’t be afraid and don’t panic, for I, the LORD your God, am with you in all you do.” Joshua 1:9 (NET).
LISTEN : You can’t achieve anything worthwhile with the heart of a chicken. Big things are achieved with a big heart. People are often stopped from pursuing their goals for lack of courage. After the death of Moses, Joshua took over the mantle of leadership. He was to confront numerous enemies of Israel, and he could’nt do that without courage. God repeatedly urged him to be courageous in verses 6,7 and 9 of Joshua chapter 1. God made him understand that, he can’t overcome obstacles without courage. What is courage? It is the ability to do something that frightens one; strength in the face of pain and grief: and the ability to do something difficult even when there is risk. By implication, God commanded Joshua to be fearless and be determined to take risk if he must conquer the enemies of Israel. In the same, you should build courage to overcome obstacles. Here are what to do to build courage:
* Learn To Take Risks And Accept Failure – trying what you fear is one of the ways to build courage and confidence. If you are not willing to take risk you are not yet ready to excel. Don’t be afraid to fail. When you try and fail you will soon discover how not to fail. So, take risk when necessary.
* Stop Being Negative Minded – you can never build courage and confidence when your thoughts are in the negative. If you think you can’t win certainly you will always lose. As a man thinks in his heart, so is he (Proverbs 23:7). So, learn to be positive minded.
* Believe You Can Do It – no one can possibly spur you into action if you are not willing to do anything. God told Joshua that, he must take courageous steps to get results. He must believe that, victory is achievable. In the same way, you must believe you can do it before you can succeed.
* Pray For Boldness And Develop Courage – pray to God and grow in courage. Courage is vital to becoming successful in your goals. Without courage you will be robbed of your ordained blessings; because you will dread to tread where giants dwell. And fear will keep you from possessing your possessions.
* Believe That God Is With You – fix your eyes and heart on God. Be courageous to confront what He has already given you power to overcome. Having God with you doesn’t stop enemy’s threats, but it does overcome their threats. Believe that God is with you and be brave enough to push your way through. Be wise!
Having read today’s devotional, what is expected of you?
1. Try what you are afraid of and your fears will soon vanish.
2. Deal with your negative mindedness and you will suddenly develop courage.
3. Don’t doubt your inherent abilities, rather discover and develop and try them out.
4. Pray and do what you can, and leave what you can’t in the hands of God.
Prayer : Dear Lord, I thank you because you are my strength and confidence. Therefore, help me to be courageous in the face of trouble and overcome in the end, amen!
Reflection : Having God with you doesn’t stop enemy’s threats, but it does overcome their threats.
Quote : “Trying what you fear is one way to build courage and confidence; for if you are not willing to take risk you are not yet ready to excel.”
Faith Confession : In Jesus’ name, I confess that I am courageous. Henceforth, I refuse to live cowardly, in Jesus’ name, amen!
Biblical Fact : Did you know Prophet Hosea was asked to marry Gomer the prostitute to demonstrate God’s relationship with the Israelites? (Hosea 1:2,3).
Today In History : July 25, 1984 Svetlana Savitskaya becomes first woman to perform a space walk.
Stunning Fact : Did you know when water freezes it expans by 9%?
A Word Of Blessing : It is well with you. May the Lord bless you and increase your strength. May you grow in confidence and courage and overcome all obstacles, in Jesus’ name, amen!
TOPIC: FEAR GOD AND DEPART FROM EVIL
Thursday, July 25, 2019
Bible Verse : And unto man he said, Behold, the fear of the LORD, that is wisdom; and to depart from evil is understanding. Job 28:28
LISTEN : We have a command to fear God and to stay away from evil. A genuine child of God will not struggle to honour and fear God. God is good to all. Therefore, there is no better way to appreciate Him than to fear, obey, worship and honour Him. Sadly, a lot of people tend to fear men than God. The fear of God is no where to be found in the hearts of many today. Beloved, where is the fear of God in your heart? If God is your creator, where is His honour? God’s problem with the Israelites was their lack of fear and honour for Him. They were ready to fear men, than fear God. My dear, do you know that human wisdom is measured by the fear of God? (Job 28:28; Pro 9:10). And anyone who lacks the fear of God is empty of real life? My dear, always examine your fear for God. How much fear and love do you have for Him? Are you putting His interest above yours? Or yours above His? Henceforth, eschew evil and embrace righteousness. Be wise!
Prayer : Almighty God, you created the heaven and the earth for your own glory. Therefore, help me to walk in righteousness and in fear of you, in Jesus’ name, amen!