Sunday, July 21, 2019
Author : Bishop Julius Okarike
Verse Of The Day : David grew greater and greater; for the LORD of hosts, was with him. 2 Samuel 5:10
LISTEN : Nothing can stop anyone who has the approval of God, for He who God supports He prospers and protects. In our Bible verse today, David grew greater and greater even in times of troubles, because God was with him. He couldn’t have survived the troubles of his life without God. It is so surprising that, in the midst of troubles, rather than grew weaker and hopeless, he grew stronger and stronger. The Bible says, “David grew greater and greater; for the LORD of hosts, was with him.” (2 Samuel 5:10). Our Bible verse explains why David grew greater and greater in the midst of troubles – “for the LORD of hosts, was with him.” So, to grow greater and greater in life, here are three things to do:
* Learn And Exercise Wisdom – you can’t excel without wisdom. Wisdom is the principal thing (Proverbs 4:7). So, get wisdom. It is the beauty and power of life. Wisdom simply means, to demonstrate good judgment in a given situation based on knowledge and experience. If you can rightly apply knowledge you can’t fail to go higher in life. But if you are empty of wisdom, you will be bankrupt of excellence. Therefore, to excel, apply wisdom in every aspect of your life – health, academics, marriage, career, ministry, etc.
* Learn To Express The Fear Of God – the fear of God is the beginning of wisdom. As a matter of fact, you are not ready for true success if you are bankrupt of the fear of God. The fear of God is the expression of your honour and reverence to Him. It is the true mark of wisdom. There is no wisdom in anyone who lacks the fear of God. My dear, if you can’t fear God you can’t face Him with your needs.
* Learn And Be Prepared To Serve – service is the pathway to honour. Where service abounds honour, favour and success will appear. David was full of wisdom, hunger for God, and service to God and humanity. His death came only when he had served his generation well (see Acts 13:36). In the same way, you should learn to serve and you will surely excel. Be wise!
Having read today’s devotional, what is expected of you?
1. Determine to walk in wisdom and understanding no matter what.
2. Live in fear of God and worship Him with all your heart.
3. Develop and determine to sustain the habit of service to God and humanity.
4. Determine to build a relationship with God and you will attract His presence.
Prayer : Dear Lord, you are my strength in weakness. Help me to rely on you always, in Jesus’ name, amen!
Reflection : Service is the pathway to honour. Where service abounds, honour, favour and success will appear.
Quote : “He who lives with wisdom, fear of God and love for service will grow from strength to strength no matter the obstacles.”
Faith Confession : In Jesus’ name, I confess that, with God I can grow stronger and stronger. Therefore, I will trust Him always, amen!
Biblical Fact : Did you know the first river that went out of Eden to water the garden is called Pison? (Genesis 2:10,11).
Today In History : July 21, 1960 Sirimavo Bandaranaike becomes the first woman prime minister of Ceylon.
Stunning Fact : Did you know sharks can sense a drop of blood from 4km (2.5miles) away?
A Word Of Blessing : You will make a difference. Today I speak to your life, may God bless you. May you grow stronger and stronger above your enemies, in Jesus’ name, amen!
TOPIC : GENUINE SERVICE GLORIFIES GOD
Sunday, July 21, 2019
Bible Verse : Serve the LORD with fear, and rejoice with trembling. Psalms 2:11
LISTEN: Genuine service glorifies God. Genuine service is a mark of true loyalty to Him. Hence, He loves true worshippers. He delights in those who will worship Him in sincerity and in reality. Yes, God is to be worshipped with awe and fear. Fear for God is a demonstration of true wisdom. The fear of God is the beginning of wisdom. (Proverbs 9:10). No man is truly wise who does not fear the LORD. The first prove or lesson of man is to fear God – that is, to respect Him. God must be placed the first in our lives. God should be our first choice in life. He is more important than our businesses, wealths, careers, etc. He is important than every other thing. God is greater than everything in life put together. Hence, when we make decisions, we should first think about Him. We should ask to know His will. Beloved, God cannot honour anyone who chooses to despise Him (1 Samuel 2:30). Therefore, we should fear Him with a sense of reverence which is due to His supreme majesty. We are to serve Him faithfully and excitedly. Henceforth, let us live in line with His will, as we remember that He deserves our sincere worship and honour. Be wise!
Prayer : Blessed Father, I thank you because you are my God. Help me to serve and worship you in truth and in spirit, amen!