Sunday, June 23, 2019
Author : Bishop Julius Okarike
Verse Of The Day : And we know that all things work together for good for those who love God, who are called according to his purpose. Romans 8:28
LISTEN : Yesterday we shared “part one” of this topic – dealing with disappointment. And we learned that, disappointment is the feeling of dissatisfaction that follows the failure of expectations or hopes to manifest. And we are advised to know that, God understands our pain; and to believe that He is always with us, and that He will deliver us from our troubles. My dear, we face disappointments virtually on a daily basis. We often get disappointed by our stubborn children, wrong relationships, unloving and nagging spouse, unfriendly work colleagues, poor academic performance, financial setbacks, poor family background, business failure, societal crisis and insecurity, poor governance, etc. However, disappointment is not the end of the road for you. Disappointment is often a stepping stone to appointment. Yes, success travels on the path of repeated disappointments. Hence, those who press on despite disappointments eventually find themselves in a place of honour. Beloved, the Bible verse of the day has the following to teach us:
* To Surrender To God’s Plan For Our Lives – it is important to know that, you are in God’s plan. And that, God’s plan for you is good and not evil (Jeremiah 29:11). This knowledge will help you appreciate what goes on in your life. And you will allow God to work things out for you. Though, you have plans for yourself, but your plans should be buried in the plans of God.
* To See Our Trials As Part Of God’s Plan – beloved, God’s plan for you is not to suffer, but suffering is often a process in fulfilling His plans. The Bible says, “… all things work together for good for those who love God.” (Rom 8:28). All things in this Bible verse includes your pains, tears, heartbreak, trials, etc. Don’t forget that, Joseph travelled the same path before he was honoured (see Genesis 37:3-36; 39:1-21; 41:37-41).
* To Know That God Called Us, We Didn’t Call Ourselves – every believeer in Christ is called of God. And God who called us know why He called us. He called us to fulfill His purpose; but we can’t achieve that without following His plans for our lives.
Therefore, even if His plans for us is to go through “the fiery furnace, the turbulent sea, or the valley of the shadow of death,” we should fear no evil, because He is with us. Be wise!
Having read today’s devotional, what is expected of you?
1. Determine to move on with your life despite disappointments.
2. Don’t dwell on your pain and heartbreak, rather, count on the promises of God.
3. No matter the situation, see yourself as ‘work in progress’ in God’s hands.
4. Always feel the presence of God around you even in the valley of death.
Prayer : Everlasting Father, I thank you because I am in your plans. Therefore, whatever I go through, help me to overcome, in Jesus’ name, amen!
Reflection : God’s plan for you is not to suffer, but suffering is often a process in fulfilling His plans.
Quote : “Disappointment is often a stepping stone to appointment; and success travels on the path of repeated disappointments.”
Faith Confession : In Jesus’s name! Today I confess that I am in God’s plan. Therefore, I will not be disappointed, amen!
Biblical Fact : Did you know God plagued Pharaoh and his house with great plagues because of Sarai Abram’s wife? (Genesis 12:17).
Today In History : June 23, 1559 Jewish quarter of Prague was burned and looted.
Stunning Fact : Did you know honey does not spoil?
A Word Of Blessing : You will make a difference. May God turn your disappointment to appointment; your sorrow to joy, and your weeping to singing, in Jesus’ name, amen!
TOPIC : GOD WILL REMEMBER YOU
Sunday, June 23, 2019
Bible Verse : For the needy shall not always be forgotten: the expectation of the poor shall not perish for ever. Psalms 9:18
LISTEN : Beloved, God cares about you, even when no one cares. David said, “When my father and my mother forsake me, then the LORD will take me up.” (Psalms 27:10). God knows how to lift up the downtrodden, downcast and miserable ones from the dungeon. He never abandons the forsaken. He takes away the reproach of the poor and deliver the afflicted from afflictions. He does that, to enable them actual their dreams and aspirations. Everyone has a destiny to fulfill, including the abandoned and rejected; and if God does not intervene, it will be impossible to fulfill their own destinies. God sees the plight of the poor and needy, and therefore promises deliverance to them. Beloved, have faith in God. The Bible says, “For the needy shall not always be forgotten: the expectation of the poor shall not perish for ever.” (Psalms 9:18). So, when the world rejects you, run to God. No matter the situation, God will put a smile on your face in the end. Be wise!
Prayer : Dear Lord, thank you for your word today. I pray that, you remember those who are abandoned, amen!