Friday, June 21, 2019
Author : Bishop Julius Okarike
Verse Of The Day : Be devoted to one another in love. Honor one another above yourselves. Romans 12:10
LISTEN : The Dictionary defines selfishness as the quality of being selfish, the condition of putting one’s own interests before those of others. A selfish person holds his or her own interests as the standard for decision making. He or she has regard for self above others’ well-being. My dear, selfishness is anti love spirit. You can’t be selfish and still show the amount of love that others deserve from you. The seed of selfishness is an evil seed. It grows up with the intention to terminate the interest and happiness of others. A selfish person holds the philosophy of “me first.” If a selfish person is in a relationship or marriage, there is going to be problems always, because he or she will care less or nothing about the interest of the other partner. A selfish person is a greedy person, and can hardly keep to his or her promises or agreements. Beloved, to get along with others, deal with selfishness. “Relationship don’t survive in the soil of selfishness.” For he who must walk with others must show interest in their well-being. My dear, it is not just about you, it is about others. God cares about others and so should we, too. There are dozens of things to do to deal with selfishness, however, we will consider just two in line with our Bible verse above:
* Be Committed To Loving Others – love for others should not come from feelings, because feelings come and go. Rather, our love for others should be based on commitment (1Corinthians 13:4-7). Feelings or no feelings, we are determined to love all the same. Even when we are hurt, it doesn’t change anything (Romans 5:8).
* Be Committed To Respecting Others – it is difficult to dishonour or let down anyone you esteem highly. When you are committed to honouring others you will have regard for their own interests; and you will place their interests before yours. The beauty of it is that, when you place the interests of others before yours, others will place yours before theirs.
Beloved, henceforth be committed to loving and respecting others, and be interested in their well-being. Be wise!
Having read today’s devotional, what is expected of you?
1. Deal with selfishness and start to love others and have respect for their feelings and interests.
2. Don’t live just for yourself, rather live for others, too.
3. Invest in your relationship by being selfless and godly.
4. If you are still struggling with selfishness, ask God to help you deal with it no matter what.
Prayer : Heavenly Father, you love and care about us. Therefore, help me to care about others, in Jesus’ name, amen!
Reflection : Think about others; for when you place the interests of others before yours, others will place yours before theirs.
Quote : “Relationship don’t survive in the soil of selfishness. For he who must walk with others must show interest in their well-being.”
Faith Confession : In the name of Jesus Christ, I confess today that, I have rejected selfishness and embrace selflessness instead, amen!
Biblical Fact : Did you know Nahor was 29 years old when he gave birth to Terah, Abraham’s father? (Genesis 11:24).
Today In History : June 21, 1990 7.7 Manjil-Rudbar Earthquake with hundreds of aftershocks hits Iran; killing about 50,000.
Stunning Fact : Did you know if you make ice cubes with tap water, they will be white; if you use boiled water, they will be transparent?
A Word Of Blessing : May the Lord bless you. And influence your heart to walk in love towards Him and others, in Jesus’ name, amen!
TOPIC : FAITH IN CHRIST JESUS
Friday, June 21, 2019
Bible Verse : Through whom we have also obtained access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and we rejoice in the hope of God’s glory. Romans 5:2
LISTEN : Jesus Christ is our access to God. Our faith in Him brings us to God’s family and eventually to His kingdom. Jesus is the way, and anyone who misses Him misses the way. My dear, you need Jesus Christ. You don’t need anything to enjoy the grace of God, all you need is faith in Christ Jesus. Faith gives you access to God’s grace; as lack of faith will shut you out of His presence. Beloved, faith is important to your relationship with God. You can never have a relationship with God without faith. This means that, if you are empty of faith you can’t have access to God. You must learn to believe what God says about you, and to trust that He is able to do all He says He will do (Hebrews 11:6). Beloved, the grace of God is available today, but it must be received by faith. Your faith in Christ Jesus will give you access to the same grace that all believers in Christ have. So, have faith in Christ Jesus, because faith in Him will give you access to the grace of God. Be wise!
Prayer : Blessed Father, I thank you for your words today. Help me to put my trust in you always, in Jesus’ name, amen!